HORNBY R3460TTS BR 0-6-0 Fowler 4F Class '44198' Late BR with TTS Sound
For several years Hornby have been at the forefront of adding the dimension of sound to the world of model railways by having locomotives equipped with sound decoders.
Although extremely effective such an element of realism has understandably added cost to an already highly detailed model. With the cost concerns associated with such embellishments the Hornby engineers have developed a unique sound decoder that not only provides superior DCC control but also dedicated sounds associated with the locomotives that have been installed with this new sound decoder.
Classified as being fitted with TTS (Twin Track Sound) these new type sound locomotives reap the benefit of the Hornby development resulting in an amazingly low retail cost for a fully DCC Sound locomotive. Each locomotive will have no less than 16 Sound functions specific to the chosen model, including whistle/horn, start up, idling, wheel slip if appropriate plus a host of other relevant sounds.
Derived from the London Midland and Scottish Railway’s classic superheated freight engine, the 0-6-0 3835 Class, (originally introduced in 1911), Henry Fowler’s 4F was designed for medium freight work. Representing the ultimate development of the Midland Railway's six coupled tender engines, there were only a few modifications to the design and it became the largest class to carry LMS as its owner. The Midland Railway had, in the early 20th century, adopted a ‘small engine’ policy that gave rise to a number of design compromises.
This in turn led to higher coal consumption and smaller than expected axle boxes from which the reduced bearing area made them prone to overheating. Being a development design, naturally the Fowler Class 4 was also subject to these failings which, along with its tendency towards developing cracked mainframes, led to a reputation of being a difficult engine. However, they were robust, well built and easily maintained and the LMS constructed 535 of the locomotives between 1923 and 1928, with a further 45 examples being authorised by William Stanier in 1937 at the Operating Department’s behest.
The Class 4 locomotives were built at a variety of different works, 150 being built by outside contractors, with the remainder being built at the LMS’s workshops at Derby (185), Crewe (165), St. Rollox (60) and Horwich (10). The contract works were those at North British Locomotive Company, Kerr, Stuart & Co, Armstrong Whitworth and Andrew Barclay & Sons Co. Only the Stanier Class 5s and 8Fs were eventually built in greater numbers. Despite their shortcomings, the 4Fs handled some of the heaviest mineral work across the LMS system, even though ex-LNWR, ex-L&Y and Standard 0-8-0s were also available for the work. Where one engine couldn’t handle the job, two usually could and they were frequently seen double-heading. They were widespread across the network, not just because of their numbers, but because the LMS had a great use for them, for a variety of jobs.
The first withdrawal came in 1954 when 43862 was taken out of service, however, it wasn’t until 1959 when mass withdrawal from service began in earnest, yet still some found use as works shunters at Crewe. With so many to dispose of it wasn’t until 1966 that the final ones were consigned to the scrapyard, fortunately though, four survived to be preserved. Locomotive 44198 entered service in October 1925, having been built at the LMS’s St. Rollox Works under Lot 011, as LMS 4198. Its post-war allocation was spent at Hurlford Shed, from where it was withdrawn from service on December 29, 1962. Reinstated during February 1963, the locomotive was finally scrapped during late February 1964 at T.W. Ward’s of Langloan, Airdrie.
The first two members of the class, 591 and 639 were withdrawn in 1934 following an accident at Port Eglinton Junction near Cumberland Street Station, Glasgow on September 6th, but the remaining 136 lasted well into British Railways days, the last locomotives in the class being withdrawn between 1954 and 1962, though regrettably, none were preserved. Locomotive 40626 entered service during December 1929 as LMS 626, having been built at Derby under order number Ord074 to Lot 67. The locomotive’s early allocation is unclear, but post-war it was allocated to Ardrossan Shed in Ayrshire before being allocated to Hurlford Shed on June 6, 1959, where it ended its days. Withdrawn from service on Ocober 31, 1961, the locomotive was removed to Inverrurie Works where it was disposed of a month later.
- Additional Information
Engine Type Steam Locos Allowed Groups No Featured Product Yes Related Products Keyword No